Welcome!

Welcome to the Birch Lake Maud Hart Lovelace blog. Here you can read what each book is about and see what other kids are saying about their favorite books. Check it out and add your own comments!

Monday, December 21, 2009

Rules by Cynthia Lord


Twelve-year-old Catherine has conflicting feelings about her younger brother, David, who is autistic. While she loves him, she is also embarrassed by his behavior and feels neglected by their parents. In an effort to keep life on an even keel, Catherine creates rules for him (It's okay to hug Mom but not the clerk at the video store). Each chapter title is also a rule, and lots more are interspersed throughout the book. When Kristi moves in next door, Catherine hopes that the girl will become a friend, but is anxious about her reaction to David. Then Catherine meets and befriends Jason, a nonverbal paraplegic who uses a book of pictures to communicate, she begins to understand that normal is difficult, and perhaps unnecessary, to define. Rules of behavior are less important than acceptance of others.

15 comments:

  1. This is a good book. It is kinda funny.


    katie Rogers, Mr. Hjelm

    ReplyDelete
  2. FUNNY when Mr. Hjelm reads it with his expressions when he reads it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!HAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHASHAHAHAHAHAAH


    BAILEY B Mrs. BETHKE'S CLASS

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have little brother that is like the boy in the book and I like the book it is funny


    Autumn .T. Mrs.Bethke

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked this book because I liked the fish

    Katelynn W. Mrs.Bethke

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like this book.I think it is kinda funny.I recomend this book to oher students.it is funny.


    Alexis H. Mrs.Bethke

    ReplyDelete
  6. I liked this book a lot but at the begining it wasn't very goooodddd!!!!


    Max E. Mrs. Montgomery

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jonah Posavad
    Ms.M
    I like fish, i think you will like This book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like this book. I like the book. It is one of the best books I have read.


    Bekah R. Mrs.Bethke

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think this book was great! I just couldn't wait for Mr.Hjlem to finish it, so i did myself.I think this book is defenitly one of my favorite books!

    Madison B. Mrs.Bethke

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really like this book because it taught me more about autism. I think you should read this book, and to all teachers out there.... YOU NEED TO READ THIS OUT LOUD TO YOUR CLASS OR ELSE YOU WONT KNOW WHAT ITS LIKE. THINK OF THE CHILDREN. Anyways... ENJOY!!!!!!!!!

    Madison Davis : Mrs.Montgomery

    ReplyDelete
  11. f
    fu
    fun
    funn
    funny
    funn
    fun
    fu
    f
    Bailey b mrs bethkes class

    ReplyDelete
  12. It feels lick wine my babby bruther in 3 grade.

    valarie

    ReplyDelete
  13. THIS BOOK IS A GOOD BOOK IT IS REALLY FUNNY I RECEMEND THIS BOOK 4 OTHER CHILDREN TO READ THIS BOOK THIS IS A GOOD BOOK U SHOULD READ ITS REALLY AWSOME BOOKIT!!!!! SHAWNA B,MRS.MONTGOMERYS CLASS

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jonan P

    No toys in the fish tank

    ReplyDelete
  15. rules is a relly good book and fuuny.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting on the book you have read. Remember to only write about the book that your read in your comment.

To post your comment, choose Anonymous. Be sure to include your first name and last initial AND your teacher's name in your comment. For example, if I am a 5th grader in Mr. Hjelm's class, I will sign my comment this way: Jessie G., Mr. Hjelm