Welcome!

Welcome to the Birch Lake Maud Hart Lovelace blog. Here you can read what each book is about and see what other kids are saying about their favorite books. Check it out and add your own comments!

Monday, December 21, 2009

Home of the Brave by Katherine Applegate


Kek, a young Sudanese refugee, is haunted by guilt that he survived. He saw his father and brother killed, and he left his mother behind when he joined his aunt's family in Minnesota. In fast, spare free verse, this debut novel by nonfiction writer Applegate gets across the immigrant child's dislocation and loss as he steps off the plane in the snow. He does make silly mistakes, as when he puts his aunt's dishes in the washing machine. But he gets a job caring for an elderly widow's cow that reminds him of his father's herds, and he helps his cousin, who lost a hand in the fighting. He finds kindness in his fifth-grade ESL class, and also racism, and he is astonished at the diversity. The boy's first-person narrative is immediately accessible.

4 comments:

  1. I like it because the guy come from Africa to Minnesota


    Jake M. Mrs.bethke

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book is great, I love this book and its cool how he loves nature and doesnt know what many things are in minnasota. I recomend you to read this right away if you can check it out. Id give it 5 out of 5 stars. This was my favorite book iv ever read and I hope you all enjoy it as much as i do. Madison D. Mrs.Montgomery

    ReplyDelete
  3. this book wasn't very good...
    Max E. mRS. MONTGOMERY

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this book is my favorite so far.It's not a big comedy but something about it just clicked.I would give it 4 and a half stars.An it isn't very long which was good for me.


    Madison B.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting on the book you have read. Remember to only write about the book that your read in your comment.

To post your comment, choose Anonymous. Be sure to include your first name and last initial AND your teacher's name in your comment. For example, if I am a 5th grader in Mr. Hjelm's class, I will sign my comment this way: Jessie G., Mr. Hjelm