Welcome!

Welcome to the Birch Lake Maud Hart Lovelace blog. Here you can read what each book is about and see what other kids are saying about their favorite books. Check it out and add your own comments!

Monday, December 21, 2009

Year of the Dog by Grace Lin


A lighthearted coming-of-age novel with a cultural twist. Readers follow Grace, an American girl of Taiwanese heritage, through the course of one year–The Year of the Dog–as she struggles to integrate her two cultures. Throughout the story, her parents share their own experiences that parallel events in her life. These stories serve a dual purpose; they draw attention to Graces cultural background and allow her to make informed decisions. She and her two sisters are the only Taiwanese-American children at school until Melody arrives. The girls become friends and their common backgrounds illuminate further differences between the American and Taiwanese cultures.

14 comments:

  1. The year of the dog wasn't my favorite book it didn't make scence

    Samantha R. Mr.Hjelm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ya I loved it!!!!! lol :) Even though im still reading it!! I just cant stop!!!!!

    Jessica Schifsky Mrs. Bethkes class!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jonah Posavad
    Ms.M
    I want to read it i like dogs.Ihave 3 dogs Max, Elsworth and Aspin

    ReplyDelete
  4. it mwas ok it was kinda boring

    Nathan in mrs. montgomery

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked this book. I would recommed it to other students because you get to find out about her traditions but from a child's view. It is kind of funny. I would give it a 7 out of 10.(PS: If you like this one there is a sequel, Year of the Rat.)

    Liselle D. Mrs. Montgomery

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVEEEEE THIS BOOK.........WHEN I READ IT I JUST COUD NOT PUT IT DOWN CLAIRE S. MRS.MONTGOMERY

    ReplyDelete
  7. this was book was fantastic!!! you should give it a shot! its all about the year of the dog.COME ON GO GIVE IT A SHOT!!!!!!!!!
    come on go and try it i bet you'll like it.go,go!!!!!I hope you like it.
    Makayla M. Mrs.keller

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like this book because she talks about two sister are two american people.It is a great book and you sounld read it.

    catherine v.mrs. keller

    ReplyDelete
  9. This was the best book in the world.How would u not like this BOOK!!!!!!!!


    Sam .S Mr Hjelm

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the year of the it was good. You should read it.
    Ccecelia B. Mr.Hjelm

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think all kids should read this. It is a very awsome story. I would reccomend all children including 12th graders. When I read this book on January 20th,2010, it was exctroidinary. About a little girl named Grace a.k.a Pacy is starting an american life. I would give it a 10 of 10.
    (If there was a seaqul it should be year of the kitten.) Qiana D. Mrs.Bethke 1-26-2010

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just got done reading it about 1 month ago. i really liked it





    jessica schifsky mrs.bethke

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think The Year of the dog is a very excellent. I would reccomend this book to all 4th and 5th grade students around the entire globe.
    It is an amazing story about a girl who is a chinese american and makes an american friend.
    Qiana D. Mrs.Bethke

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jonah P

    lol dog are fun, and so are friends.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting on the book you have read. Remember to only write about the book that your read in your comment.

To post your comment, choose Anonymous. Be sure to include your first name and last initial AND your teacher's name in your comment. For example, if I am a 5th grader in Mr. Hjelm's class, I will sign my comment this way: Jessie G., Mr. Hjelm